Monday, January 7, 2013

Catherine Corley - Strength for 2013

Hello to all my friends!  In my previous blog, several days ago, I spoke about Gratitude.  Gratitude was my word I chose in 2012 in accordance with a book I read by Debbie Macomber.

This year, I chose the word "Strength."  I didn't expect that to be my word, but life has handed me some changes I wasn't ready to handle.  I don't believe any of us are ready for a bunch of changes at once!  Even with my arsenal of emotional tools, the changes in the last several months have caught me off guard and feeling less than strong.

Of course, my most crushing blow is the fact that I have a tumor on my ovary and, only a few weeks after being diagnosed, I will be having surgery tomorrow afternoon.  As I have said before, I have come to terms with it, but no matter the outcome, I need strength.

I also need strength for everyday life, just like you do.  Our strength is what defines us.  If we crumble at every turn, we are really of no good to anyone especially ourselves.  I've had those days lately.  If we are too strong, we turn people away because we tend to shut down all our emotions.

So I am turning to the Lord today and everyday to give me the strength I need to get through this one day, tomorrow and the rest of the year.  Strength to make changes that I know I have to make.  Strength to find direction after this surgery is over and I am completely healed.  What do I want to do with the rest of this year?  I ask myself that all the time.  I have been in a holding pattern for so long.

According to the dictionary, one of the definitions of the word strength is "Something or someone that gives one strength or is a source of power or encouragement; sustenance."  I believe that my strength comes from above.  As I face this surgery and the outcome, I lean on the verses found in Romans 5:3-4 (NASB) "...but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."  

To me, hope gives me strength.  Without hope, we have nothing.  

The word strength is also defined several other ways:  1) the quality or state of being strong; bodily or muscular power; vigor; 2) mental power, force or vigor; 3) moral power, firmness or courage.  

I like being strong physically.  I love working out and the empowerment I feel after doing push ups every morning or after going for a run.  I miss running and I can't wait to get back to it.  I want to yell like a Marine!  

I also like having mental strength, because I seem to lack that.  I used to be so ready for any task.  Nothing seemed too difficult to break down into pieces and handle as quickly as possible.  Running a law firm for more than a decade made me mentally strong!  

Moral strength feels victorious!  When our moral strength is less than we want it to be, we don't feel strong.  

The year 2013 started with an oncologist visit on January 2.  How will it continue for me?  Well, I think the Lord gave me the word "strength" because I am going to need it.  There are going to be a lot of changes in my life this year.  I already know that.  Some will be difficult, but mostly they will be great!  I will have opportunities I haven't had in years.  I look forward to facing each day with strength!  

I even bought a great bracelet with the word STRENGTH engraved in it.  I put it on my right wrist and every time I reach out whether for help, for food, for a handshake or for love, I will remember that I am strong and I have the strength of the Lord to renew me each day.  

Isaiah 40:31 (NIV) "But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

I intend to grow as a person this year, so I can inspire others!  I have received so much love and comfort during the last month.  Thank you to all of you who have felt my pain along with me.  That love also gives me so much strength.

I also intend to be physically strong this year.  After my recovery, I hope to get certified as a fitness trainer and really help people who need weight loss assistance.  I also want to be mentally strong and write until I run out of words.  I am hoping this year, my writing will make a difference.  

I can't wait to write to you again.  In the meantime, be strong!  Be healthy!  Believe!

Love and strength,
Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to give me your input and tell me about your experiences. Please NO SPAM. Thank you!